A bit of background…
The Guild was originally set up in 1999 by obstetric physiotherapists, Gillian Fletcher and Marion Grant, with the aim of taking over the National Childbirth Trust’s (NCT) delivery of specialist exercise. Gillian and Marion were behind the NCT’s postnatal exercise instructor training courses and this was to be continued under the auspices of the Guild.
Changes and developments within the exercise industry now mean that all exercise teachers who run specialised pregnancy and postnatal classes should hold both a Level 3 qualification in their area of expertise e.g. personal training, Pilates or Yoga as well as a Level 3 Award in Pregnancy and Postnatal Exercise. The Guild is a not for profit organisation and our committee members are volunteers.
Today the Guild’s main activities are:
- To maintain an online presence where women are welcomed and able to search for fully qualified and up to date pregnancy and postnatal exercise instructors
- To offer training, CPD, webinars for our members and other health care professionals within the field
- To offer an online presence where members can showcase their skills in a specialised environment
- To develop a supportive environment for instructors so that standards can be raised and maintained
- To offer mutual support, education and encouragement to exercise professionals and health care professionals to raise their awareness and understanding of exercise during pregnancy and beyond
- To offer training courses for Level 3 Instructors who wish to specialise in pregnancy and postnatal exercise
- To act as a body for annual registration of Level 3 Pregnancy and Postnatal Exercise Instructors